Burglars leave evidence behind after allegedly ripping off vending machines | News
GUTHRIE, Okla. — Two suspected traveling thieves are behind bars tonight, after the duo allegedly went on multiple vending machine heists in Guthrie. Police say they got pretty lucky in this case, it seems as though the thieves left a trail behind.
Robert Stratton and Karl Frederickson were caught on surveillance Friday at a Guthrie Best Western. Police say they were on their way to break into some of the hotel’s vending machines.
They didn’t stop at the Best Western. Management at a nearby apartment complex says many of their machines are now out of order after the two men allegedly picked their locks too.
Along with this still image from surveillance, police say what they found in their motel room down the street was especially incriminating.
Lt. Mark Bruning with Guthrie Police says they found, “Items from vending machines, along with other tools and also some meth and other paraphernalia.”
Later Friday evening, officers found Stratton and Frederikson in the area of Triplett and Division with those same items. This time, they were on bicycles and looking suspicious.
Both men told officers they were just riding around for fun, but police say it looked like they were looking for somewhere else to break into.
The two are from Kansas and Stratton had been arrested in the state just 10 days ago on larceny charges.
“I’m sure they’re just going up and down the interstate,” says Bruning. “Finding their money for the motel rooms and for drugs.”
Management at their motel said the two men traveled through Guthrie on the Logan County trolley, but with only bicycles to their names police have no idea how they got from Kansas to Oklahoma.
“We don’t know why they’re here, how they got here, they were on bicycles,” says Bruning. “We don’t believe they have a vehicle, so we aren’t sure if they got a ride or hitched a ride.”
Police also think the two men committed these crimes to survive.
Bruning says, “Breaking into vending machines you’re not going to get a fortune but I’m assuming you can get enough to get a motel room and some drugs.”
Both men are facing felony burglary charges as well as distribution and possession of methamphetamine, paraphernalia, stolen property, burglary implements and conspiracy to commit a felony.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New mediation tool helps Oklahoma students through finals week
- Kevin Durant’s restaurant ‘KD’s Southern Cuisine’ opens in Bricktown tonight
- Today is last day to return Angel Tree gifts to Salvation Army at Quail Springs, Penn Square malls
- Districts: Snow days don’t affect finances, A-F grading system
- Scammers use frigid temps to attempt to con residents, businesses
- OKC school board drops plan to stop sixth graders from going to Classen SAS
- Gas shut off after leak evacuated businesses, closed streets near N.W. 10th St. and Robinson
- Woman arrested after allegedly singing loudly, attacking father
- Missing man found in cow pasture now in critical condition
- Best ways to protect your car from rust, paint damage caused by road salt
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed