911 call released after nude Guthrie home invasion | News
GUTHRIE, Okla. – New details in the Guthrie home invasion have been released after police said a father shot a naked man who broke into his home.
Police released the 911 call Thursday, after the break in on the 1000 block of Walnut Ct. just after midnight.
You can hear the panic in the mother’s voice throughout the call.
Caller: “Someone just broke into my house and my husband had to shoot him.”
911: “Is he dead?”
caller: “He’s in my kitchen. I think he’s dead.”
That’s how it ended.
It began a few minutes earlier when the naked man broke through the family’s back door.
A neighbor also called 911 to alert police.
Neighbor: “There’s somebody banging loudly on the back door. Can you hear it?”
As police raced to the scene, the mother described the terrifying encounter.
Caller: “We heard the noise and woke up and he grabbed the gun and he yelled at the man, told him to get out before he shot him and he shot him several times. Oh God.”
Charlie Ball heard the shots coming from his neighbor’s home.
“Five times like that, that’s no accident so it got my attention real quick,” Ball said.
Ball said he watched, knowing two children were inside the home.
You can hear the mother on the 911 recording working to get them out of the house without letting them see what’s happened.
Caller: “Let me get the kids up. I’m going to have to get them dressed. Oh my God. I know, baby, it’s OK. I want you to stay in your room until I come back and get you.”
Ball said the home is a place the family is supposed to feel secure.
“Only place you can go to get away from all that is your home and when you can’t get away from it at your home, it’s time to take action,” Ball said.
From the sound of the 911 call, the woman was thankful her husband was home.
Caller: “I’m glad he was here, though, because I don’t know if things would have turned out differently.”
Watching his own grandchildren play, Ball feels his neighbor did the right thing.
“I don’t think anybody in the world blames the guy for what he did,” Ball said.
Police have identified the intruder killed.
They won’t release his name until they notify the family.
As for why he was naked, detectives said they believe he may have suffered from some mental health issues.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- How to score free tickets to Tuesday’s Thunder game against Grizzlies
- ‘We are not immune,’ Eighth graders allegedly caught with drugs at local middle school
- Robbery suspect wears fake goatee, mustache as disguise during bank heist
- Arts festivals popping up across the metro
- NEW: Alleged coin burglar caught on tape, police still searching for suspect
- OKC man dies after being attacked with bat at softball game, two arrested
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- Run to Remember, marathon runners remember why OKC runs
- After a cold training season, marathon runners ready for Memorial Marathon
- UPDATE: Crews open I-240 eastbound at I-35
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder