Guthrie PD sting busts liquor stores | News
Guthrie police officers spent part of the weekend cracking down on businesses selling alcohol to underage customers.
“Try to keep underage drinking down and we don’t want these businesses selling to people that aren’t 21,” Lt. Mark Bruning said.
They teamed up with prevention works and sent in mystery shoppers to stores around town.
“To do compliance checks on restaurants, bars, liquor stores convenience stores using undercover decoys basically and attempting to purchase beer and liquor from those spots,” Bruning said.
Investigators found five locations who sold booze without asking for identification: Petty’s Pit Stop, Rainbow Gas, G-Mart, Gary’s Liquor Store and Halftime Bar and Grill.
The owner of the establishment left in handcuffs after the sting. Bruning says this isn’t the first time this location has been cited for serving alcohol to patrons they shouldn’t.
“We arrested the bar owner who served the underage because we felt the serving was a lot more severe than the selling,” Bruning said. “They had sold alcohol to a person who was severely intoxicated to the point where they were falling down.”
Officers say it only takes seconds to ask for identification but the consequences for not doing so can be detrimental.
“It’s really not hard for them to ask for an ID. It’s really simple. If they just follow the law they won’t be contacted,” Bruning added.
All employees cited at the different locations will have to appear in court Monday. There were eleven places that followed the law and did not sell to underage customers.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- O'City St. Patrick's Day Fest & Parade in Bricktown
- Remington Park kicks off season with Quarter Horse, Mix Breed racing tonight
- Magnitude 3.9 quake shakes Edmond, so far no damage reported
- Electrical issues may have caused fire at Life Church overnight
- Community working to save the ‘Teepee Church’ in Edmond tonight
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel