Mysterious boom heard in Guthrie | News
GUTHRIE, Okla. – People living in Guthrie have been reporting a mysterious noise around town.
Those who have heard it say it’s an unnerving boom.
“Just a loud one time boom,” said Lucy Swanson.
“I heard something pretty loud and a little bit disturbing,” said Justin Fortney.
The descriptions are similar, but no one knows where it’s coming from.
It was heard twice Wednesday around 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
“It was very loud, very noticeable, and it shook the house just slightly,” said Swanson.
Police dispatchers say the officer responding to the blast heard it from his patrol car but couldn’t find a source.
“You hear it, and you want to kind of call your friends and family and say, ‘Did you hear that? That was gigantic! What just exploded?’,” said Fortney.
It’s nothing new to Mayor Chuck Burtcher. He says he first received calls from about the boom three months ago.
Everyone seems to have their own theory behind the boom.
“I know there’s oil field exploration. That’s the easiest explanation I had for that,” said the Mayor.
Others say rumors are others in town might have gun ranges. People say it’s possible a transformer blew up.
However, people say the sound is too close to town to be oil field testing, which is miles on the outskirts of town, and OG&E says no transformers have blown recently.
For now, the sound that shakes Guthrie remains nameless.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Body discovered in north OKC, man likely died of exposure
- Will Rogers: Passengers dealing with some delays, cancellations are expected on Friday
- Get dogs in Christmas spirit Bark for Life photos with Frosty
- Police searching for armed suspect accused of holding up adult novelty store
- Council approves additional funds for MAPS 3 sidewalks
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes
- Four recovering after being involved in wrecks related to fog