Mysterious boom heard in Guthrie | News
GUTHRIE, Okla. – People living in Guthrie have been reporting a mysterious noise around town.
Those who have heard it say it’s an unnerving boom.
“Just a loud one time boom,” said Lucy Swanson.
“I heard something pretty loud and a little bit disturbing,” said Justin Fortney.
The descriptions are similar, but no one knows where it’s coming from.
It was heard twice Wednesday around 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
“It was very loud, very noticeable, and it shook the house just slightly,” said Swanson.
Police dispatchers say the officer responding to the blast heard it from his patrol car but couldn’t find a source.
“You hear it, and you want to kind of call your friends and family and say, ‘Did you hear that? That was gigantic! What just exploded?’,” said Fortney.
It’s nothing new to Mayor Chuck Burtcher. He says he first received calls from about the boom three months ago.
Everyone seems to have their own theory behind the boom.
“I know there’s oil field exploration. That’s the easiest explanation I had for that,” said the Mayor.
Others say rumors are others in town might have gun ranges. People say it’s possible a transformer blew up.
However, people say the sound is too close to town to be oil field testing, which is miles on the outskirts of town, and OG&E says no transformers have blown recently.
For now, the sound that shakes Guthrie remains nameless.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Expand your creativity with a brew in your hand
- How to score free tickets to Tuesday’s Thunder game against Grizzlies
- ‘We are not immune,’ Eighth graders allegedly caught with drugs at local middle school
- Robbery suspect wears fake goatee, mustache as disguise during bank heist
- Arts festivals popping up across the metro
- Memorial runner runs to remember family member lost in bombing
- You won’t believe what a man was driving during a high speed chase
- Protesters gather for “victory” celebration after controversial politician a no-show at graduation
- OKC man dies after attack with baseball bat, alleged suspect claims self-defense
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- UPDATE: Everyone accounted for following massive house fire, investigation continues
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan