Guthrie cops hit the store for needy children | News
GUTHRIE, Okla.—The countdown is on and there are still many families who need to pick up a few last minute items before Christmas.
Saturday, members of the Guthrie Police Department were fighting the crowds to make a Merry Christmas for a few families.
The “Shop with a Cop” program gives children a chance to go shopping for Christmas presents with police officers.
Organizers say it’s a fun event that helps kids from various organizations.
Officer Jeremy Thorne, Guthrie Police Department, said, “It’s kinda nice to be able to deal with the children in a setting where, you know, we’re not having to take some sort of enforcement action and actually get to spend some time with them; where they become comfortable with us and we become comfortable with them.”
Participants can pick out items that they need or want, which is something that many of the kids would not be able to afford.
Robert Renaker said, “It touches my heart a lot. It just makes me feel real good, I just can’t explain it. I didn’t think she was going to get a lot of stuff for Christmas but now that I see all that stuff in the buggy, I just feel wonderful.”
Officers say that while many of the kids were told to pick out items for themselves, they ended up selecting gifts they would like to give to other people.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police investigate Capitol Hill teacher accused of sexual misconduct, no arrests have been made
- Winter weather still affecting flights at Will Rogers World Airport; Runways open but check flights before going
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes