Fire destroys parts of downtown Ames | News
AMES, Okla.—A small Oklahoma community is cleaning up after a huge fire tears through its downtown area.
At least eight different fire departments responded as volunteer firefighters from Ames battled a massive blaze around 9:30 p.m. Friday.
Old buildings were completely engulfed in flames.
Crews focused their attention on the post office, which was saved from the fire.
Unfortunately, there is not much left of downtown Ames.
Authorities say they are bringing in large machinery to start removing the buildings that are crumbling.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- How to score free tickets to Tuesday’s Thunder game against Grizzlies
- ‘We are not immune,’ Eighth graders allegedly caught with drugs at local middle school
- Robbery suspect wears fake goatee, mustache as disguise during bank heist
- Arts festivals popping up across the metro
- NEW: Alleged coin burglar caught on tape, police still searching for suspect
- Protesters gather for “victory” celebration after controversial politician a no-show at graduation
- OKC man dies after being attacked with bat at softball game, two arrested
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- Run to Remember, marathon runners remember why OKC runs
- After a cold training season, marathon runners ready for Memorial Marathon
- Firefighters using extreme caution battling raging house fire with ammunition inside
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan