Logan County authorities chase man suspected of growing pot | Crime
LOGAN COUNTY, Okla. – Logan County authorities continue the search for whoever was cultivating marijuana plants on some rural property that didn’t even belong to them.
A property owner was out on his land near Highway 105 and Triple X Road early Saturday morning making repairs to fences when he noticed the plants.
He drove straight to the sheriff’s department and reported his findings, leading deputies to the illegal crop.
“Found a 25 yard by 25 yard, roughly, cultivation of marijuana which was concealed with branches and brush that had been pushed up around it in all areas to conceal it from the view from the street,” Logan County Capt. Rich Stephens said.
Twenty-four marijuana plants Capt. Stephens says were very well cared for.
He says water was being mechanically pumped from the nearby farm pond to water the plants.
“There were tools and other farming implements such as fertilizer and bug spray,” Capt. Stephens said. “That sort of stuff that was at the site so clearly this was a cultivation.”
The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics was called out and they cut down and burned the marijuana plants.
But while officials were out there, they caught a glimpse of a possible suspect.
“Deputies noticed someone coming up from the other side of the property carrying a duffel bag which appeared to be pretty heavy, probably full of tools and chemicals,” Capt. Stephens said. “They gave chase at a distance on foot.”
The man made it to his truck and was able to speed off before deputies could catch him.
Authorities say this was a major find.
“Good quality marijuana plants of that size which are cultivated and possibly get to harvest per year can get you know $15,000 to $30,000 per plant,” he said. “So you may be looking at $250,000 to $400,000 worth of marijuana over the course of a year’s time from this grow.”
Officials said the suspect is a white male, about 30 years old, driving a 2000 white Ford Ranger pick up.
And they say they’ve had other reports of this man driving around the county, so they’re following up on those leads.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Expand your creativity with a brew in your hand
- How to score free tickets to Tuesday’s Thunder game against Grizzlies
- ‘We are not immune,’ Eighth graders allegedly caught with drugs at local middle school
- Robbery suspect wears fake goatee, mustache as disguise during bank heist
- Arts festivals popping up across the metro
- Memorial runner runs to remember family member lost in bombing
- You won’t believe what a man was driving during a high speed chase
- Protesters gather for “victory” celebration after controversial politician a no-show at graduation
- OKC man dies after attack with baseball bat, alleged suspect claims self-defense
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- UPDATE: Everyone accounted for following massive house fire, investigation continues
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan