Logan County authorities chase man suspected of growing pot | Crime
LOGAN COUNTY, Okla. – Logan County authorities continue the search for whoever was cultivating marijuana plants on some rural property that didn’t even belong to them.
A property owner was out on his land near Highway 105 and Triple X Road early Saturday morning making repairs to fences when he noticed the plants.
He drove straight to the sheriff’s department and reported his findings, leading deputies to the illegal crop.
“Found a 25 yard by 25 yard, roughly, cultivation of marijuana which was concealed with branches and brush that had been pushed up around it in all areas to conceal it from the view from the street,” Logan County Capt. Rich Stephens said.
Twenty-four marijuana plants Capt. Stephens says were very well cared for.
He says water was being mechanically pumped from the nearby farm pond to water the plants.
“There were tools and other farming implements such as fertilizer and bug spray,” Capt. Stephens said. “That sort of stuff that was at the site so clearly this was a cultivation.”
The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics was called out and they cut down and burned the marijuana plants.
But while officials were out there, they caught a glimpse of a possible suspect.
“Deputies noticed someone coming up from the other side of the property carrying a duffel bag which appeared to be pretty heavy, probably full of tools and chemicals,” Capt. Stephens said. “They gave chase at a distance on foot.”
The man made it to his truck and was able to speed off before deputies could catch him.
Authorities say this was a major find.
“Good quality marijuana plants of that size which are cultivated and possibly get to harvest per year can get you know $15,000 to $30,000 per plant,” he said. “So you may be looking at $250,000 to $400,000 worth of marijuana over the course of a year’s time from this grow.”
Officials said the suspect is a white male, about 30 years old, driving a 2000 white Ford Ranger pick up.
And they say they’ve had other reports of this man driving around the county, so they’re following up on those leads.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- O'City St. Patrick's Day Fest & Parade in Bricktown
- Remington Park kicks off season with Quarter Horse, Mix Breed racing tonight
- Magnitude 3.9 quake shakes Edmond, so far no damage reported
- Electrical issues may have caused fire at Life Church overnight
- Community working to save the ‘Teepee Church’ in Edmond tonight
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel