Deputy lies about intruder, stabbing | Crime
GUTHRIE, Okla. — A Logan County reserve deputy is accused of lying about a shooting involving an intruder inside the deputy’s home.
Guthrie Police said they now believe there wasn’t an intruder and the assault was fabricated.
“We believed we needed to fill in some blanks with the victim and then when we talked to him it came out that it was all made up,” Det. Mark Bruning said.
Around 8:30 a.m. Monday, police rushed to the home of the deputy on the 300 block of E. Mansur.
The deputy claimed he was letting his dogs outside when he found an intruder in his kitchen.
He told authorities the intruder had grabbed a knife off the counter and stabbed him in the arm.
The deputy claimed he grabbed his gun and fired but missed the intruder.
The incident lead to a search of the neighborhood.
“Regardless of what the reasoning behind it was, it still didn’t happen,” Bruning said. “We don’t have a person breaking into houses in Guthrie stabbing homeowners.”
The reserve deputy has not been arrested.
Officials said they will be submitting their evidence to the district attorney for review.
The Logan County Sheriff’s Office has terminated the deputy.
A sheriff’s official said “This is an unfortunate incident, but must be dealt with firmly.”
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow
- Body discovered in north OKC, man likely died of exposure
- Will Rogers: Passengers dealing with some delays, cancellations are expected on Friday
- Get dogs in Christmas spirit Bark for Life photos with Frosty
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes