Suspect stabs deputy in lawman’s own kitchen | Crime
GUTHRIE, Okla. – Residents living in this historic Guthrie neighborhood woke to gunshots, sirens and crime tape.
One homeowner told us, “That makes me nervous; it frightens me a bit.”
Around 8:30 a.m. Monday, police were called to the home of a Logan County Reserve Deputy.
According to investigators, the reserve deputy had gone to let his dogs in and that’s when he found an intruder in the kitchen.
That man grabbed a cheese knife off the counter and stabbed the deputy in the arm.
The injured deputy grabbed his gun and fired, according to Guthrie detective Mark Bruning.
“This individual was in the kitchen,” he said. “He grabbed a knife on the counter top. The deputy went back and got his gun on the chair. He was stabbed and then took one shot at the person.”
The suspect, who was not hit, ran out the back door and disappeared into the neighborhood.
Police from several agencies swarmed the area, including Oklahoma County’s K9 unit.
Nearby schools were placed lockdown as a precaution.
“We went to leave but can’t leave the house,” one homeowner said. “There are police at both ends. It seems like they were doing what need to be done.”
Guthrie police did detain and question one man.
He was later released and is not considered a suspect.
The deputy has been treated and released after a quick trip to the emergency room.
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- O'City St. Patrick's Day Fest & Parade in Bricktown
- Remington Park kicks off season with Quarter Horse, Mix Breed racing tonight
- Magnitude 3.9 quake shakes Edmond, so far no damage reported
- Electrical issues may have caused fire at Life Church overnight
- Community working to save the ‘Teepee Church’ in Edmond tonight
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel