Liquor store owner charged selling vodka to drunk driver | Crime
GUTHRIE, Okla. – Guthrie police said 56-year-old Warren Lynn Potts had no business being behind the wheel of a car.
The pizza delivery man was seen driving erratically Wednesday around 10:45 a.m.
An alert citizen saw the man stumble out of Tony’s Convenience Store and climb into a car.
The witness was so concerned, he called 911 and followed him, to a liquor store.
Potts exited the store with a large bottle of 100-proof vodka.
Guthrie PD caught up to Mr. Potts a few blocks away.
According to Detective Mark Bruning, “He was across the center line several times and they stopped him. He was extremely intoxicated. He couldn’t even stand up. It took two of us to escort him to the vehicle.”
Warren Potts was arrested for felony DUI but the investigation didn’t end there.
The District Attorney is also charging the liquor store owner for knowingly selling booze to a person who was clearly intoxicated.
“The person at the liquor store stated he fell down in the parking lot of the liquor store,” Bruning said. “To me, there was no doubt he was intoxicated. He gave him a bottle and allowed him to leave driving in a vehicle. We know how many people get hurt or killed in DUI accidents.”
The store owner initially denied knowing anything about the case and then politely asked us to leave.
He said, “GO! You don’t want to talk about it? I’d love to hear your side of the story.”
He’ll have a chance to tell his story to a Logan County Judge and the ABLE Commission.
Bruning said, “We don’t necessarily want to put him out of business but we want to get his attention; selling liquor to an already inebriated customer will not be tolerated here.”
Upcoming Events near Guthrie
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- O'City St. Patrick's Day Fest & Parade in Bricktown
- Remington Park kicks off season with Quarter Horse, Mix Breed racing tonight
- Magnitude 3.9 quake shakes Edmond, so far no damage reported
- Electrical issues may have caused fire at Life Church overnight
- Community working to save the ‘Teepee Church’ in Edmond tonight
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel